New world number one Barty out of Eastbourne with arm injury

Sports

Tennis – WTA Premier – Nature Valley Classic – Edgbaston Priory Club, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Britain – June 23, 2019 Australia’s Ashleigh Barty poses as she celebrates winning the final against Germany’s Julia Goerges with the trophy Action Images via Reuters/Carl Recine

EASTBOURNE (Reuters) – New world number one Ashleigh Barty has suffered a Wimbledon injury scare and has withdrawn from this week’s Eastbourne grasscourt tournament.

The 23-year-old, who became the first Australian woman to reach the top of the WTA rankings for 43 years on Sunday when she won the Birmingham Classic, has aggravated an arm injury.

“It’s an injury I’ve had to manage since I was 16 years old,” Barty told reporters at Devonshire Park on Monday.

“It happens when I have a spike in load, it’s just a bone stress injury and I need to look after it.”

Barty, who won the French Open earlier this month and is on a 12-match winning streak, said she was optimistic she would be ready in time for Wimbledon where she will be the top seed and many people’s favorite.

“I think it will be fine but we will have to make sure that we manage it carefully over the next three or four days and that I’m ready to go next week,” she said.

Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Christian Radnedge

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Brazil cotton farmers sue Bayer over patent on GMO seed
Exclusive: U.S. firms may get nod to restart Huawei sales in 2-4 weeks – official
Britain says Iran attempted to block its oil tanker
Warriors ready new basketball stadium, fueled by tech dollars
China says will freeze out U.S. companies that sell Taiwan arms

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *